Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sakura @ Downtown East

Went to Sakura Restaurant at Downtown East with my colleagues today for a lunch treat by Mrs AJL. It was a good choice - varied selection of food, old favourites such as baked oysters and prawn fritters, and the crowd favourite - the ordered hot dishes such as chicken hotplate, saba fish, ginseng chicken soup.

I've always enjoyed eating at Sakura because of its range of comfort and familiar food. It may not be as high end as Cafe Bic or the Carousel, but hey, sometimes you just want the old favourites. Personally, I get a kick out of clipping my numbered peg onto the thin metal poles, waiting in pleasant anticipation for the food to arrive and finally giving a little 'Oooo' when the dish is finally served.

I began with several cuts from the cold trays but was sidetracked by the grill - hence the slightly messy plate for the first round.


The Ikura Sushi was not bad. Should have taken more.


It was this time when my Grilled Unagi came. Sweet and delectable.



I went for the hot trays for my second round.



The black pepper fish was surprisingly good. Unlike the usual black pepper sauce, this was light and sweet. Quite appetising, actually.



Deep fried salmon skin. Sinful and artery clogging. Worth every crunchy bite.



Another happy serving - Seafood Miso Soup. There's prawn, scallop and squid floating in the miso broth.



Wandered of for some Soba. I couldn't find the spring onions though.



At this point my beef came. See what I mean by these little delightful additions to your meal?


Good food. Great makan kakis.

Sakura Restaurant
Downtown East
About $21 per pax

1 comment:

SASHA said...

Did we not sit at the same lunch? Your pics make it look more delectable than my tastebuds could remember. There's room for improvement, though, in your food presentation skills ;> (on your plate, I mean)